Balsamic Roasted, Stuffed Portobello Mushroom caps with Rosemary Pesto
All photography by August Nyson. See all her beautiful work here
Recipe originally printed in the August '18 edition of Women's Lifestyle Magazine. Check it out here
These mushrooms pair together protein packed lentils with hidden veggies, and a delightful pesto made with fresh rosemary! All at once bright and tangy, creamy and garlicy, hearty and satisfying, this dinner is perfect to impress whoever you may cook for.
Garlic whipped Cauliflower and Lentils
Yield= 5 cups
4 cups cauliflower, chopped
1 cup split yellow lentils, rinsed
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
2 large garlic cloves
5 Tbsp butter, dairy or nondairy
- In a medium sized pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils, gently stir, lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes, until water in absorbed.
- Separately, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil until very soft.
- Transfer lentils and cauliflower to a food processor. Add salt, garlic and butter and process until smooth. Set aside
Rosemary Pesto Sauce
Yield= 1.5 cups
1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
Juice of 2 lemons
1 Cup olive or avocado oil
½ cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds
1 tsp salt
Dash black pepper
½ cup fresh parsley leaves
- Add all items to a blender and blend on high until pureed. Stop and use a spatula to push down ingredients periodically. Sauce is ready when rosemary and parsley are pureed, and sauce is a vibrant green.
Balsamic Roasted Portobello Caps (plating)
4 Portobello mushroom caps, washed and cleaned
½ cup avocado or melted coconut oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
Garlic whipped cauliflower and lentil
Rosemary pesto sauce
Sundried tomatoes, diced for garnish
Parsley leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray or coat a roasting pan with oil.
- Use a fork to gently puncture Portobello caps on top and bottom of caps. Place caps in roasting pan.
- Whisk together oil and balsamic vinegar and, using a basting brush, generously coat tops and bottoms of mushroom caps. Sprinkle mushrooms lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms in oven and roast about 25-30 minutes, until fork tender. Turn mushrooms over halfway through. When finished roasting, transfer mushroom caps to serving plates
- Stuff each mushroom cap with approximately ½ cup Garlic Whipped Cauliflower and Lentils
- Garnish with diced sundried tomatoes, rosemary pesto sauce and fresh parsley leaves. Enjoy!
Post a Comment