Fruity Beet Sticky Rice Spring rolls
All photography by August Nyson. See all her beautiful work here
Recipe originally printed in the August '18 edition of Women's Lifestyle Magazine. Check it out here
These surprisingly balanced treats are perfect for dessert, dinner appetizers or a fun afternoon treat. Serve sliced in half for an even more striking presentation, and don’t skip the peanut dip!
Beet Sticky Rice
1 cup Sushi rice, rinsed
1 ¼ cup water
1 cup coconut milk
½ cup sugar
¾ cup Tarragon Beet Sauce (see recipe above)
- In a medium sized saucepan, add rice and water and bring to a boil. Cover and lower to a simmer about 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Add coconut milk, sugar and Tarragon Beet Sauce to rice. Mix together and simmer until mixture is thick and moisture is absorbed. Store and cool at least 2 hours.
Peanut Lime dipping sauce
¼ cup Apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup agave
Juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup-1/2 cup crushed peanuts, to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together to combine and serve
Spring roll rice papers
Beet Sticky Rice
Fresh Mango slices
Fresh Kiwi slices
Freeze dried strawberries, crushed
- Keep a shallow bowl of hot water near and ready at all times, as well as a dry kitchen towel, laid out flat.
- One at a time, slowly press a spring roll rice paper into hot water. Allow to soak for ten seconds, then very carefully lift from water and transfer onto kitchen towel.
- Place a large spoonful of beet sticky rice toward the bottom of the rice paper and gently shape into an oval.
- Place mango slices or kiwi slice on top of beet sticky rice.
- Using both hands, carefully roll sticky rice and fruit up in the rice paper toward the top of the paper.
- Tuck the sides of the rice paper under the roll to seal. Sprinkle top of roll with freeze dried strawberries. Repeat, and enjoy with Peanut Lime dipping sauce!