Dairy Free Mac N' Cheese (optional gluten and grain free)
Recipe originally printed in the August '18 edition of Women's Lifestyle Magazine. Check it out here here
One of the most iconic comfort foods, this version is as creamy and rich as ever, while sneaking in healthy veggies and healing spices to boot! Make with your choice of traditional, gluten free or grain free pasta
Optional: gluten free, grain free, dairy free, egg free, vegan
2 medium sized Russet potatoes
2 large carrots
1 large yellow onion
4 large garlic cloves
¼ Cup tahini
1 Tbsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
½ Cup nutritional yeast
½ Cup non-dairy milk
Juice of one lemon
¼ tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Cup reserved boiled water
4 Tbsp oil or non-dairy butter
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1 Lb cooked macaroni
- Rinse and trim potatoes, carrots and onion. Cut into small pieces, no bigger than 2”
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes, carrots and onion and boil until very soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Scoop vegetables from water or drain (remember to reserve 1 cup of water), and add to a high speed blender.
- Add to blender with veggies: garlic cloves, tahini, salt, pepper, turmeric, nutritional yeast, almond milk, lemon juice, smoked paprika, cayenne and reserved boiled water. Blend on high until very smooth and creamy, at least one full minute. When finished, set aside.
- In a large, wide pan, heat oil or vegan butter over medium heat. Add in arrowroot powder and whisk as if you are making a roux.
- Once combined, pour in blender mixture and whisk together well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and allow to simmer about 5 minutes, until texture is thick and resistant like a cheese sauce.
- Taste sauce and adjust spices as you like. Stir cheese sauce into cooked pasta, 1 cup at a time. Save extra cheese sauce for more pasta, nachos or cheese dip!